Monday, April 09, 2007

CBS, NBC Suspend Talk Show Host Don Imus for Two Weeks Over Racist Remarks




Click on the link above to see part of the Imus/Sharpton interview if you don't know what this is referencing.

I just have to say that Al Sharpton needs to clean up his own yard before he gripes about the weeds in his neighbor's.

I think that this is a typical "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" type of issue.
Al Sharpton even went so far as to reference Imus' reference to "jigaboos" that actually comes from a Spike Lee Movie.

WAIT !!! Last time I looked, Spike Lee was of the American-African (and yes, I mean to say American-African, so get used to it) but the last time I looked, Spike Lee was of the American-African persuasion.

American-African rap artists say much worse than what Imus said, yet Al Sharpton does not make a big stink about it. He says that he doesn't agree with it, but he never goes anywhere near trying to pull them down from their success pedestal.

I have never liked Imus. I thought he was arrogant and pompous and simply childish in a lot of ways. But you know what i did? I didn't listen.

See, this goes back to the old "There's two knobs on the radio... one to turn it off and one to change the station" analogy. We are a country of free speech, and no matter how much I disagree with someone's point of view or even the way they express their point of view, they still have a right to say it. I don't care who it offends. If it offends you, don't listen. Imus is not following you around the house talking to you and referring to "Nappy Headed Hos," he's sitting in his studio that broadcasts a signal to your radio... and you can shut him up with one of the two knobs you find there.

Secondly, the words "Nappy" and "Ho" are actually slang words that were created by the American-African community. You create the word, use it in everyday language, but you don't want me to say it, and you are offended when I do?

Screw you!

I believe that a great thing was done when the American-African community was acknowledged for being no worse or no better than any other race. But don't you dare start telling me how I should think or act or speak. I acknowledge your freedoms as my own, don't you dare try to hinder mine.

I have never, in my life, said a discouraging word to or about a person just because they were American-African. Now, if someone were an American-African and was an ass, then yes, i would treat them like an ass for being an ass, not because of the color of their skin.
I have never owned a slave.I have never made someone sit at the back of the bus or drink from a different water fountain or be served at the back door of a restaurant.

I don't owe you anything.

You should only expect the same thing from me as I expect from you.

Equal treatment.

I don't pitch a fuss when you throw out words, so put on a jacket or something because if you are going to go through life with skin no thicker than what you have now, then you are in for a world of hurt because I am not changing who I am to suit you.

You are my equal... and with that comes the responsibility to act like an equal and live up to the maturity standards of an adult and not go running to the teacher when little bobby calls you a poopy head.

So, to all the poopy heads out there, be they white, black, brown, or Neopolitan, tell Al Sharpton to stay out of this until he gets the same type of insulting language out of the media that Spike Lee and others of his persuasion put out there themselves. Better yet, let the "artists," of which there are very few these days no matter what the race, let them say what they want.

Let Imus say what he wants.

Let me say what I want.

Hell, Al, say what you want.

But for right now, I think what you're saying is bullshit, so... watch this... I'm changing the channel... I'm sure theres a charming episode of the Brady Bunch on somewh---

+++ Shadow has changed the channel .... what are your thoughts on the issue? Leave a comment +++

1 comment:

Malinda777 said...

Amen brother, Amen, AMEN...oh...did I forget to say A-M-E-N!!!?

I haven't posted on this story although I have exact and strong feelings about it (I'm having my own Don Imus moment right now with my blog, while so extremely benign it's not even funny, but a few folks around here are keeping an eye on my blog and I am laying a bit low (subject matter for another day between you and I)on radical or highly opinionated posts right now.)

But...back to Imus. He's a SHOCK JOCK...with SHOCK being the operative word. And YOU my little brother are just a few steps below Imus and Stern at times with your DJ style. You've made me cringe a time or two, but you've NEVER MADE ME NOT LAUGH!!! Like a style or not, one has to give credit for talent, and Imus has extreme talent...even if it IS in an unorthodox field.

I don't listen to Imus much either, and Howard Stern isn't my cup of tea. BUT...GUESS WHAT...I know where my two knobs are too. And, I exercise my right to use them. SOMEBODY WAY HIGH UP ON THE CHAIN OF CHAINS made a conscious business decision to pay Stern a freaking HALF A BILLION DOLLARS for a contract deal. NOBODY HAS EVER OFFERED AL SHARPTON A HALF BILLION dollars to spew his liberalism over the airwaves on a syndicated program...

I was listening to Hannity & Colmbs on my radio while traveling home last night, and some AMAZING American-African gentleman was on. He doesn't like Imus either...but his comments were PRICELESS. He very aptly noted that these girls from Rutgers didn't place their hands against the cheek of a gaping mouth when they heard Imus' comments and gracefully state in despair, "Oh my...that's abhorrent, that's SO disgraceful!"
He said he could guarantee that this is more how it went..."Oh NAW...that cracker DIDN'T just call me a nappy headed ho!...Girlfriend...tell me that cracker ass white man DIDN'T JUST CALL US nappy headed hos!".

I about fell out of my car laughing...because...I believe that's true. Imus should have better sense than to say something like that over the air. It was in bad taste, and it was offensive. I find it offensive though just because...not because of the girls' skin color. If he would have called a group of American-Anglo (that would be white...we are the minority now)...basketball players skanky trailer trash hos it still would have been offensive. But...no one would have really noticed. People would have shaken their heads and written it off to "the source", "the nasty 'ole SHOCK jock" that nobody likes anyway (EXCEPT THE PEOPLE THAT KNOW HE GETS RATINGS).

If Chris Rock or Eddie Murphy would have made the nappy comment, the world would have laughed. I would like to see Murphy or Rock come out in Imus' defense. It would show the world a unified mentality. If we could raise Richard Pryor from the dead, I bet he'd defend Imus...

Great post...I agree 100%